Scholarship Value $50,000
Number of Scholarships 2
King’s major entrance scholarships and awards are based on your admission average, entrance award application and original essay submission (if applicable). Secondary students who apply for admission to King’s with a September entry (in the BA, BSc, BJH and BMus programs) are eligible to apply for major awards (please read the details for each award to determine your eligibility).
Program of Study
All programs (preference given to students entering the Foundation Year Program)
- Canadian citizens (preference given to Atlantic Canadians)
- Demonstrated academic excellence, proven leadership skills, and involvement in school and/or community activities
High School Grades
- $17,000 (year 1)
- $11,000 (year 2, 3, and 4)
Yes — Remain in good academic standing
Scholarship Application Required
Yes (PDF application)
Essay Required Yes (see essay topic below)
Original essay topic for students applying to enter in September 2024
"A great thinker once said: “The only thing that anyone ever learned from history is that nobody ever learns anything from history.”
Write an essay that tries to explain what this notion might mean. It could mean many things in many different contexts, and you do not need to take up a strong agree/disagree position in your essay. What might lead a person to assert such a claim? Can you think of current or historical situations or debates that would lend weight to this claim or challenge it? Do not do any research to find out what others have said on this topic, though you may engage authors or material you’ve already studied in your discussion if this helps you to develop your own thinking. The strongest papers will show evidence of creative thinking, and express ideas in clear, structured, and interesting ways.
How to apply
Apply for admission (September entry)
- If you have already submitted an admission application earlier in the year, please do not re-submit another admission application to accompany your scholarship application.
- Provide all supporting documents, including official first-semester or mid-year grades to support your admission application. See Admission Requirements for more information. If your school has sent your official mid-semester or mid-year grades/transcripts to the Admissions Office to support your admission application, there is no need to re-submit them with your scholarship application.
- Review major awards criteria and determine eligibility.
- Write essay (2022 topic provided) if required for your major award application. Please see individual scholarship charts for more information on the essay requirement.
- Fill out individual major award applications and gather supporting documentation for scholarship applications. Connect with referees before adding their contact information to your major scholarship application. Follow reference submission procedures on each major award application.
- Submit your major award application by March 1, 11:59 p.m. AST to email@example.com.
Important information before submitting your major award application
- Consult scholarship criteria and procedures for each major award
- Multiple award applications are accepted
- Refer to the individual major awards chart to determine if the award you are applying for requires an essay submission – 500-word limit for original essay
- Use the following format when saving your original essay – Last Name, First Name_Essay. For example: ‘Smith, Joe_Essay’.
- Verify that your full name, date of birth and King’s student ID (B00#) are noted on each document you are submitting.
Filling out your PDF major award application
Major award applications cannot be filled in on a web browser and then saved. Download each application form first and then use Adobe Acrobat Reader DC or Preview to type in your answers. To ensure your information is being captured by your device, test it out first: type in an answer in the fillable section, save your changes, close the PDF, and then reopen the file. If your answers have been properly saved, proceed to complete the form. Please confine your answers to the space provided on the application form(s).
Submit your major award application and supporting documentation to firstname.lastname@example.org by March 1, 11:59 p.m. AST.